This article has been reviewed by a licensed lawyer Anton Radchenko for general accuracy. This is for informational purposes only.
Wizz Air Flight Compensation Claims
According to the air passenger rights stated in the EU 261 law, you can claim the following types of compensation:
- Delayed flight compensation - If your Wizz Air flight arrives 3 hours or longer after it should have. For a long delay (5+ hours) you can also ask for a refund.
- Flight cancellation compensation - If the airline cancels your flight 14 days before the date of departure, in accordance with Wizz Airlines' cancellation policy.
- Denied Boarding compensation due to Overbooking - Wizz Air overbooking policy states you can be entitled to a refund or re-routing if you are denied boarding due to accidental overbooking.
- Missed connection compensation - You can also get a Wizz Air missed flight refund if you miss a connecting flight because of delays and issues caused by the carrier.
Dealing with Wizz Air disrupted flights isn't pleasant. In fact, a cancellation or delay with this airline can cause you and your family a lot of grief, adding extra costs to your trip and ruining the start or end of your vacation. Fortunately, you have rights as a passenger of this airline, and you are entitled to make a claim for a delayed Wizz Air flight or obtain a refund for a cancelled Wizz Air flight.
How to get a refund from Wizz Air? Well, it's actually quite simple, and AirAdvisor can help you get the compensation you're entitled to. You can use our Compensation Calculator to get started and determine how much you’re owed. It only takes a few minutes to start your claim, and AirAdvisor’s expert team can help you take it to the next step. We can also help you to fill in a Wizz Air compensation claim form and file it.
Wizz Air Compensation for Cancellation, Flight Delay, or Denied Boarding
Can I Make a Wizz Air Compensation Claim for a Delayed or Cancelled Flight?
Absolutely. If you're seeking Wizz Air claim compensation, the first thing to know is that you should be entitled to it. Given that this low-cost airline is based in Hungary, it's subject to EU rules, and the European Union has taken steps to protect the rights of air passengers in case of flight delays.
Disrupted flight? You might have a right to compensation - up to €600 (£520).Check Your Flight
What Are My Passenger Rights in Case My Flight Was Cancelled or Delayed?
If Wizzair cancels the flight, here are your options:
- The airline will try to re-book you on an alternative flight with the same or similar route, as soon as possible.
- If it’s not possible to get you on another flight, you can receive a full refund of the ticket cost of the flight that was cancelled, in line with Wizz Air refund policy.
- The full value of your flight can also be refunded in the form of Wizz credit, with a 20% Wizz Air missed flight fee bonus added to your account. You can use this credit and your Wizz free cancellation bonus towards other flights in the future. However, we strongly recommend against it, as it has time and other limitations, which can net you zero. So never accept any vouchers from the airline.
- The airline will also permit you to make two calls, free of charge, to let people know about your situation and make alternative arrangements.
- If your alternative flight is the next day after your original scheduled departure, you can also make a Wizz Air claim for the cost of your hotel for the night. In fact, usually, the airline will make the arrangements for you. If not, you can make a Wizzair refund claim to get the costs back of your accommodation, meal, and transport, too.
In addition to the list of above rights, EU law states that you are also entitled to the following:
- Up to €600 (£520) in compensation, dependent on the length of your journey (travel distance)
- The right to claim on flights up to six years after they were scheduled
- The right to claim on any flight with a minimum of three hours of delay, total cancellation, or overbooking
If your flight was delayed, canceled or overbooked within the last 3 years, you could be eligible for up to €600(£520) in compensation.Check Your Flight
What Should I Do in Case of Cancellations or a Wizz Air Delayed Flight?
If you find yourself in any of the unfortunate situations above, you should take the following steps to ensure that Wizz Air will actually pay compensation. Here are the steps you need to take:
- Speak with airline representatives to find out more about the situation and confirm the reason behind the cancellation, delay, or Wizz Air overbooked flights.
- Gather as much evidence as you can about your booked flight to support you when you make a Wizz Air compensation claim.
- While you're waiting, ask the airline to provide you with basic essentials, like food and water.
- Use our simple Compensation Calculator to check your eligibility for a Wizz Air refund 24 hours and find out more about how to get a refund from Wizz Air.
Wizz Air Flight Cancellations: When Are They Liable?
In most cases, this carrier will need to pay passengers for flights that have been cancelled. However, there are certain circumstances in which the airline could try to evade liability.
For instance, if there is a very bad storm or some sort of incident at the airport, this creates a situation of “extraordinary circumstances” in which you won’t be able to claim delay or cancellation compensation.
Even in these cases, however, the airline should still work to get you on another flight as soon as possible and provide various other benefits and assistance to help you. And in many cases, it is not possible for the carrier to avoid liability.
According to EU Regulation 261, you will be entitled to a refund or an alternative flight, along with Wizz Air delay compensation of up to €600 (£520) per person in most situations.
Flight delayed over3 hours or canceled? See if AirAdvisor can get you compensation.Check Your Flight
Wizz Air Flight Delay Compensation
Airlines are always striving to make their flights on time and keep up with their schedules, but delays happen all the time. This is where EU Regulation 261 comes into play. Thanks to this, if your flight has been delayed by three hours or more (arrival time), you can receivecompensation of up to €600 (£520).
The only exceptions from the Wizz Air flight cancellation policy are cases of “extraordinary circumstances”. These are situations outside the airline's control, like an air traffic control strike.
Compensation for Wizz Air Flights: How Much Can You Get?
To determine how much compensation you can get for Wizz Air flight delays or cancellations, all you need to do is to check the rules of EU 261. According to your air passenger rights stated in the law, you could receive:
- All flights under 1,500km - Up to €250 per person
- Flights ranging from 1,500 to 3,500km - Up to €400 per person
- Flights longer than 3,500km - Up to €600 per person
Our Compensation Calculator is an easy-to-use tool to help you see exactly what you can get when claiming compensation.
Claim with AirAdvisor and get up to €600(£520) compensation. Find out how much you’re owed today.Check Your Flight
AirAdvisor Can Help You Claim Wizz Air Compensation
No matter the type of flight disruption you suffered, AirAdvisor can help you claim the Wizz Air compensation you deserve.
Our team of legal experts has won over 120.000 flight compensation cases, including Wizz Air flight delay or cancellation cases. If you want your air passenger rights defended by some of the best lawyers in the business, contact us immediately. You should begin your Wizz flight compensation process as soon as possible.
Just click the Check Compensation button and enter your flight details (flight date, flight number, and other relevant information). Our compensation calculator will show exactly how much you should get before passing the case to our team.
From that point on all you have to do is wait. If we are successful, we will send the compensation to you right away via bank transfer, after retaining our fee.
Common Questions: Wizz Air Compensation Claims and Refunds
What is the Time Limit for Wizz Air Compensation Claims?
You can make a Wizz Air delay compensation claim any time in the five years after the flight was scheduled.
How to Claim Compensation for Wizz Air Delays and Cancellations?
To start, use our Compensation Calculator to see how much money you could get in the form of delayed flight compensation and if you are eligible you can submit your claim. We work based on No-Win, No-Fee, so there is no risk for you to submit your claim with us. Our clients rank AirAdvisor service at 4.6 out of 5.
Can I get a refund from Wizz Air?
The process of obtaining Wizz air cancellation refund or compensation can be complex and demanding. And the truth is that the amounts in question hardly justify hiring a lawyer. This is where AirAdvisor comes in, as a company that has extensive experience in aviation law and daily interactions with the airline.
Why should I entrust my claim to AirAdvisor?
- 5 years of experience
- More than 120,000 customers from 58 countries already trust us
- 4.6 Rating based on 4,000 customer reviews
- 10 languages
- International team of lawyers and travel lovers
- In order to find out if Wizz Air owes you compensation, use our compensation verification tool.
What happens if I miss a Wizz Air flight?
If you miss a flight due to delays, cancellations, or overbooking, you may be able to make a compensation claim. You can also potentially get a full Wizz Air flight refund, or get rebooked on another flight the same day. Keep in mind that accepting an airline's voucher is the worst and riskiest option for you (we do not recommend it).
EU 261 compensation claim wizz air: how to do it?
- We suggest you read our EU 261 Compensation explainer to learn about your passenger rights.
- Use our flight delay checker to check if your flight is eligible for compensation and its amount.
- Read how to write a flight delay complaint letter and feel free to use the template provided.
- if the airline rejects or ignores your claim, which is very likely our team will be happy to help you.
Why is Wizz Air always late?
Not all Wizz Air flights are late. This airline has an on-time-performance rating of 83.5%, so 16.5% of its flights are late.
How to find out if there are any Wizz Air cancelled flights today?
You can read our recommendations on how to use flight delay checkers to find out about the latest flights and cancellation news.
About Wizz Air
- Founded in 2003 in Hungary and is now in Top 3 largest low cost airlines in Europe
- Serves 44 countries, mostly in Europe, but also in Africa and the Middle East
- Has 3 subsidiaries: Wizz Air UK, Wizz Air Malta and Wizz Air Abu Dhabi
- On-time performance of approximately 83.5%, which is better than the global average but lower than most big European airlines (based on OAG data and other internal data sources)
- Cancellation rate of 0.7%, compared to the average of around 2% (based on OAG data and other internal data sources)
- Wizz Discount Club is a discount program for frequent flyers, offering price cuts on ticket fares and baggage fees
- Frequent flyers can also join the Privilege Pass, an annual membership program offering priority boarding, free baggage, and seat selection
- Wizz Air Strike
- Wizz Air EU261
Under EC 261, you could be entitled to file a delayed flight claim for up to €600 cash flight compensation if… You arrived at your destination more than 3 hours later than planned. You checked in for your flight on time (generally no less than 45 minutes before departure).How do I get compensation from Wizz Air? ›
In case You are entitled to receive a compensation under Regulation (EC) No 261/2004, You can submit your claim via the online Complaints form. Other passengers may submit a compensation claim on your behalf only if You and the other passenger were in the same booking for the considered flight.How much compensation am I entitled to if my flight is Cancelled? ›
The airline legally has to give you all of the following: a full refund for the flight. a full refund for other flights from the airline that you won't use in the same booking, eg an onward or return flight. if you're part-way through a journey, a flight back to the airport you originally departed from.How much is EU261 compensation? ›
The law, which is now known as EU261 (or EC261), states that in such cases a traveller can be eligible to claim compensation between 250 and 600 euros, depending on flight distance.How do I argue with an airline for compensation? ›
The first thing you should do when filing a claim for compensation for a delayed, canceled, or overbooked flight is to contact your airline. You can do this by calling them, writing to them, or asking a gate agent for the best method to file a complaint.What is the most the airline will pay to compensate you? ›
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, you are entitled to compensation for reasonable incidental expenses you incur because of your delayed baggage, up to the maximum liability limits, set by statute. For U.S. domestic flights, this is $3,800 per passenger.How long does Wizz Air take to pay compensation? ›
Usually the refund is made within 7 days. Keep in mind that there are situations when Wizz Air is also obliged to pay compensation. In case of flight cancellation, compensation has to be paid when the flight is cancelled less than 2 weeks before departure date, and the cancellation is due to the airline's fault.Can I claim money back for Wizz delay? ›
Compensation for a delayed Wizz Air flight is awarded when the passenger arrives at their final destination at least 3 hours late. The flight delay must also be at the fault of the airline according to the British and EU air passenger rights regulations.Does the airline owe you compensation? ›
"There are no federal laws requiring airlines to provide passengers with money or other compensation when their flights are delayed," the DOT states. Each airline decides what it will offer customers for significant delays within its control.How long does a flight have to be delayed to get money back? ›
If the delay was deemed to be within the airline's control you could be owed compensation. See full flight delays help. If you're delayed more than five hours, you can get a refund regardless of cause.
Regardless of the refund, you are entitled to flight compensation if: Your flight was delayed for 3 hours or more. OR Your flight was canceled less than 14 days before it was due to depart.Who is eligible for EC 261? ›
Information about the EC 261 compensation
Passengers who have experienced a disruption to their flight can claim EC 261 compensation from the airline of the specific flight. To be eligible, the flight must have departed from the EU with any airline or landed in the EU while being operated by a European airline.
Customers who wish to submit expenses for travel/transport/or refreshments or a compensation claim following a flight cancellation or delay over 3 hours on arrival can click below to access the EU261 claim form. We aim to process your claim within 10 days.How long does an EU261 claim take? ›
A delay of two-plus hours for flights of 1,500 kilometers (932 miles) or less. A delay of three-plus hours for intra-EU flights of more than 1,500 kilometers and for all other flights between 1,500-3,000 kilometers (932-1,864 miles). A delay of four-plus hours for all other flights.Can you sue an airline for emotional distress? ›
Individuals can sue airlines in small claims court for damages caused by an airline's negligence. For example, damages can arise from personal injuries (for example a broken arm) or from emotional distress caused by an airline's negligent treatment.Is it worth complaining to an airline? ›
Air travel isn't always fun. Things go wrong. And while you're unlikely to get compensated because a summer thunderstorm made your plane late, it's often worth complaining to the airlines and seeing what you can get for your travel inconveniences.Can I sue airline for stress? ›
Mishaps on airlines can result in severe emotional distress for passengers, even when they don't suffer physical injuries. When passengers fear for their lives due to some type of airline mishap, they can sue an airline for emotional distress to receive compensation.How do I get maximum compensation for delayed baggage? ›
- Hold onto your boarding pass and your checked luggage receipts. ...
- Report the damage before leaving the airport after receiving your bags. ...
- Fill out a damage claim form, or Property Irregularity Report. ...
- Present your bags for inspection so they can be repaired or replaced.
The amount an airline has to pay involuntarily bumped passengers depends on the price of their ticket and the amount of time they'll be delayed in getting to their destination, according to federal regulations. For domestic flights, passengers delayed by 1-2 hours are entitled to 200% of their one-way fare.Do I get compensation for delayed luggage? ›
Under DOT regulations (for domestic travel) and international treaties (for international travel), airlines are required to compensate passengers if their bags are damaged, delayed, or lost.
Your submission has been passed onto our team for manual review. This process may take approximately 5 business days. Unfortunately, we're unable to fast-track manual reviews. We'll keep you updated about your review and contact you if we need any extra information.What does refund to Wizz account mean? ›
If the amount paid for the passenger whose reservation is cancelled is higher than the fees related to the cancellation (WIZZ Flex fee, Recovery of WIZZ Discount Club benefits), the difference will be refunded to the WIZZ Account of the booking owner (the person who originally created the booking) in WIZZ Credit.What expenses can I claim for flight delay? ›
Extra expenses when flights are delayed or cancelled
When experiencing a flight disruption, you may - in addition to compensation as well, get your extra expenses reimbursed by the airline, consisting of food, drink, transportation and hotel.
Explain what happened and when, and why you feel you are entitled to receive a payment. Send your claim to the airline's customer relations department. You can escalate your complaint if you don't get the result you hoped for.Can I get a refund for flight paid with voucher? ›
You will be able to get a full refund for your nonrefundable flight, but not a cash refund. Instead, you'll get a voucher or credit for future flights booked within a certain time frame. This isn't ideal, but it's better than nothing. Just remember to use your voucher before it expires.How do I make a claim for a delayed flight? ›
If you believe you have the right to claim compensation or reimbursement, you should contact your airline or airport directly. Compensation is not automatic, and you will need to contact your airline to make a claim. Many airlines and airports will have a claims procedure for you to follow.What is considered a significant delay airline? ›
Now, the DOT has defined language and timing so that a "significant delay" would be defined as one that affects the departure or arrival time of a domestic flight by three hours or more (or by at least six hours for an international flight).Do I have to accept a voucher instead of a refund? ›
In general, you do not have to accept a credit note if your complaint is covered by consumer law (except in very limited cases for package holidays – see below). Instead, you can insist on a repair, a replacement or a refund. If you accept a credit note you may not be able to ask for a refund afterwards.What is proof of extraordinary circumstances for airlines? ›
Examples of extraordinary circumstances
Weather conditions incompatible with the safe operation of the flight. Strikes (unrelated to the airline such as airport staff, ground handlers, air traffic control or border force) Acts of terrorism or sabotage.
- A death or serious illness/injury of a close family member.
- A severe disruption to domestic arrangements.
- Being a victim of crime.
Common extraordinary items include damage from natural disasters, such as earthquakes and hurricanes, damages caused by fires, gains or losses from the early repayment of debt, and write-offs of intangible assets.Does eu261 apply to USA? ›
If departing from a non-member country, the airline must be licensed in a Member State. The EU recently expanded this rule to include flights departing from the EU to the U.S. and some other countries, and even connecting flights within the U.S. operated by U.S. partners of EU airlines.Is eu261 per person? ›
EU Regulation 261 mean you can claim compensation up to £520 per passenger for flight delays of more than 3 hours. By Flight Delay Compensation Team. Last Updated 15th May 2023 .What is EC 261 2004 denied boarding? ›
Article 4Denied boarding
1. When an operating air carrier reasonably expects to deny boarding on a flight, it shall first call for volunteers to surrender their reservations in exchange for benefits under conditions to be agreed between the passenger concerned and the operating air carrier.
- Keep your important travel documents, e.g. your boarding pass.
- Find out why the flight was delayed.
- Hold onto proof of the delay.
- Make a record of when you arrived at your final destination.
- Don't sign anything or accept any offers that may waive your rights.
If you believe you have the right to claim compensation or reimbursement, you should contact your airline or airport directly. Compensation is not automatic, and you will need to contact your airline to make a claim. Many airlines and airports will have a claims procedure for you to follow.How do I get reimbursed for a delayed flight in Europe? ›
If your flight has been delayed for more than three hours, you will need to fill out and submit an Air Passenger Rights EU Complaints Form to claim compensation. This simple form should be sent to the operating airline (presuming it was an EU airline or an airline operating a flight within an EU country).How do I claim EU261 on Delta? ›
If your flight is delayed more than 2 hours or cancelled within 14 days of your original departure, you qualify for compensation of up to €600 under EC 261. Contact Delta Airlines directly to get your refund.How much is flight compensation from USA to EU? ›
This compensation can cost about $600 per person in certain circumstances. The conditions for this stipulate that the departure airport must be within the EU. Or, the airline carrier must be landing in the EU and headquartered in the EU. Compensation may be claimed within three years of the disrupted flight.Can I claim compensation for a delayed international flight? ›
There are no federal laws requiring airlines to provide passengers with money or other compensation when their flights are delayed. Each airline has its own policies about what it will do for delayed passengers. If your flight is experiencing a long delay, ask airline staff if they will pay for meals or a hotel room.